Friday, March 21, 2014

a few ways of getting over that creative wall

Sometimes it feels like your creativity has just disappeared altogether and you don't know if it will ever come back again.  This, of course, isn't always the case which you know when someone discovers you in your room or studio covered in clay, paint, fibers, glitter and glue. What a great feeling!! Here are some ways to get back into the swing of things when you feel like getting creative again.

1.  Try a new medium.
If you're having trouble creating a new drawing, maybe try sculpting with some clay or writing a poem. Or maybe you could trim a hedge to look like a friendly dinosaur. Sometimes all you need is a fresh new feel for your creativity, and you may even discover a new talent.

2. Make something for a friend.
I often find myself having trouble making things for myself or for an unknown audience, so making little donut charms for a friend, or a custom pet portrait for my mom helps me to get my artwork mojo flowing again.

Draw a friend's pet or make her a little clay or felt animal.


3. Go outside.
Nature helps take the mind on a new journey and, for me at least, seems to put the world into perspective. The way the world is today creates a feeling to keep on moving and never stop working, but taking some time to relax can truly open your mind.

Even rainy days can provide inspiration.


4. Try automatic writing (drawing, scuplting, etc...)
Automatic writing is a great tool the surrealists often used to let go and discover their creativity.  Try it yourself!  Grab a notebook, and just write anything that comes to mind, even if it makes no sense whatsoever. 

So, get going! It's time to get creative!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions! Making things for other people always seems to get my creativity flowing again. :) I love the little fox! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! I missed you. These are great suggestions, I use some of them myself when I'm really stuck for inspiration (especially the making things for a friend one...I often make a collage for someone else because I can't be bothered to make one for myself). Getting out in nature is important too. I spend too much time staring at a computer :( xxxx

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips! Definitely would love to try automatic writing - I'd be intrigued to see what my subconscious mind would come up with!

    Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely, lovely. i really like the automatic writing suggestion. we never can fully grasp our subconscious, but if we can put whatever we can take into perspective, then the results are really beautiful. : )

    http://frankiensteins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your art so much! I do automatic writing so much! I have so many notebooks filled with just completely incoherent random thoughts >.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. such an inspiring post! love your art too! :)

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment! I hope you enjoy your visit.